Eligibility & Fees
Pre-Entry opens October 1st
Breeders' Cup Condition of Entry
As a condition of entry for any BCWC race, no horse within six months of the BCWC shall test positive for any anabolic steroid or any other prohibited substance described under the ARCI prohibited substance list . Any horse testing positive for anabolic steroids or other ARCI prohibited substances in a BCL out-of-competition test sample during the six-months prior to the BCWC will be ineligible to participate in BCWC.
Breeders' Cup Out of Competition Testing
Breeders’ Cup Limited will be conducting out-of-competition (OOC) testing on all 2020 Challenge winners and any other possible starters prior to the Breeders’ Cup World Championships. This testing is separate from any testing the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission (KHRC) performs. The Breeders’ Cup OOC testing will be performed by the The Kenneth L. Maddy Equine Analytical Chemistry Laboratory at UC Davis. Routine testing at the Maddy Lab meets or exceeds the protocols established by TOBA and required by Breeders’ Cup World Championships to ensure that the highest possible level of testing is performed on all samples.
The primary focus of OOC testing for the Breeders’ Cup World Championships will be for Epogen, darb-EPO, other blood doping agents, certain animal venoms, growth hormones, beta-2 agonists ractopamine and zilpaterol, anabolic steroids as well as any other drugs or medications prohibited by KHRC regulations or as described in KHRC regulations. Out-of-competition testing may be conducted at any time. Racing officials from other state jurisdictions and internationally will be asked to assist BCL and/or the KHRC in obtaining blood samples for OOC testing. Horses must be timely produced for testing if requested. A horse may be prevented from entering unless the owner and trainer comply with any pre-race testing request. A horse testing positive in the six months prior to the BCWC for anabolic steroids, Epogen, darbEPO, other blood doping agents or other ARCI prohibited substance will be prohibited from entering the BCWC races in the same calendar year.
Horses that are nominated to Breeders' Cup and are eligible for Breeders' Cup Championship races must pay entry fees as indicated. Horses that were not nominated as weanlings may be late nominated. No horse can be pre-entered for more than two races. When a horse is pre-entered for two races, the required pre-entry payment must be for the race of greatest value, regardless of whether it is the race of first preference.
Horses that are nominated to Breeders' Cup
The pre-entry fee is due by 12 noon (local time at place of pre-entry) on Monday, October 26, 2020.
An entry fee is required to pass the box at the time of entry closing- 10:00 a.m. (ET) on Monday, November 2, 2020 at the Breeders' Cup Racing Office-Keeneland.
All Championship starters will receive a travel award if based outside of Kentucky.
- $10,000 for North America
- $40,000 for International
All runners are subject to the highest standards in medication testing and security while competing in the Breeders’ Cup World Championships which include the following:
- Out-of-competition testing performed in advance on potential runners
- Only approved KHRC licensed veterinarians will administer race-day medications in all races.
- 24-Hour Security that will begin 72 hours from post time on each runner.
- All Runners must be on the grounds of the racetrack 72 hours prior to their race-day.
- All runners will be inspected physically and on track every day in the week prior to the Championships by a combined team of KHRC regulatory veterinarians and the Breeders’ Cup Veterinary team.
- TC02 testing performed on every runner.
- The first four finishers plus any other will be sent for post-race testing from every Championship race. Testing will be performed for over 100 performance enhancing substances.
- All runners may request pre-race testing if they are concerned about withdrawal times for medications permitted during training but not racing.
- For additional security/safety measures put in place by Keeneland and the KHRC, please see the list on the yellow attention page in the front of the Horsemen’s Information Guide.
All horses must be nominated to compete in the Breeders' Cup World Championships. Horses not Nominated to Breeders' Cup may be nominated under the Horses of Racing Age nomination program.
Refunds for Pre-Entry and Entry Fees
Pre-entry fees and entry fees for nominated horses are non-refundable except in the event of sickness or disability certified by the track or state veterinarian (or veterinary certification acceptable to Breeders' Cup Limited) or in the event a horse is prevented from starting by a decision of the Racing Directors/Secretaries Panel in order to limit the field of starters.