Eligibility & Fees
Pre-Entry opens October 1st
Breeders’ Cup Condition of Integrity
- If any connection of the above-described horse has been notified by a regulatory body, racetrack, or racing association (i) about a pending or potential anti-doping or medication control violation involving the connection, or (ii) that such connection is currently banned, ejected or denied from participating in racing in its jurisdiction or facility, such connection must immediately report the same to Breeders’ Cup. A positive test may report the presence of substance(s) administered to a horse prior to six (6) months before the BCWC.
- BCL may, in its sole discretion, declare ineligible any horse in any BCWC race if any connection (e.g., owner, trainer, jockey) of such horse has engaged in any conduct that is unlawful, unethical or may otherwise compromise the integrity or reputation of the BCWC.
Prohibited Substances and Methods and Penalties for Covered Persons
Breeders’ Cup is proud to support the national rules of the Horseracing Integrity and Safety Authority, Inc. (“HISA”), which prohibit the use of certain substances and methods and provide for uniform results management for alleged anti-doping and medication control rule violations. Under HISA’s rules, if a covered horse is disqualified by HISA, among other financial penalties and periods of ineligibility as set forth in the rules: (i) the horse shall be disqualified to last in the race and any purse earned by the horse shall be forfeited and redistributed in accordance with the revised order of finish; and (ii) in the event of multiple violations of HISA’s rules, enhanced or additional penalties may be assessed by HISA relative to any associated covered person. Please review carefully HISA’s rules available at https://hisaus.org/.
Breeders' Cup Out of Competition Testing
Breeders’ Cup Limited will be conducting out-of-competition (OOC) testing on all Challenge winners and any other possible starters prior to the Breeders’ Cup World Championships. This testing will be in accordance with HISA’s rules. The Breeders’ Cup OOC testing will be performed by The Kenneth L. Maddy Equine Analytical Chemistry Laboratory at UC Davis. Routine testing at the Maddy Lab meets or exceeds the protocols established by HISA or the Horseracing Integrity and Welfare Unit (“HIWU”), and is required by Breeders’ Cup World Championships to ensure that the highest possible level of testing is performed on all samples and to preserve and protect the integrity and reputation of the Championships. HIWU or its designee conducts OOC testing in accordance with HISA rules, including HISA Rules 3132 (Authority to test), 3135 (Ownership of Samples), and 3137 (Purpose of Sample Analysis).
Horses that are nominated to Breeders' Cup and are eligible for Breeders' Cup Championship races must pay entry fees as indicated. Horses that were not nominated as weanlings may be late nominated. No horse can be pre-entered for more than two races. When a horse is pre-entered for two races, the required pre-entry payment must be for the race of greatest value, regardless of whether it is the race of first preference.
Horses that are nominated to Breeders' Cup
The pre-entry fee is due by 12 noon (local time at place of pre-entry) on Monday, October 23, 2023.
An entry fee is required to pass the box at the time of entry closing- 10:00 a.m. (PDT) on Monday, October 30, 2023 at the Breeders' Cup Racing Office-Santa Anita.
All Championship starters will receive a travel award if based outside of California.
- $10,000 for North America
- $40,000 for International
All runners are subject to the highest standards in medication testing and security while competing in the Breeders’ Cup World Championships which include the following:
- Out-of-competition testing performed in advance on potential runners
- All Breeders’ Cup World Championships and undercard races will be Lasix free
- All Championship runners must be on the grounds of the racetrack by Tuesday, Ocbtober 31 for a security check-in.
- 24-Hour Security on every runner that will begin at the mandatory security check-in time on Tuesday, October 31st
- All runners will be inspected physically and on track every day in the week prior to the Championships by a combined team of CHRB regulatory veterinarians and the Breeders’ Cup Veterinary team.
- TC02 testing performed on every runner.
- The first four finishers plus any other will be sent for post-race testing from every Championship race. Testing will be performed for over 100 performance enhancing substances.
- All runners may request pre-race testing if they are concerned about withdrawal times for medications permitted during training but not racing.
- For additional security/safety measures put in place by Santa Anita Park and the CHRB, please see the list on the yellow attention page in the front of the Horsemen’s Information Guide.
All horses must be nominated to compete in the Breeders' Cup World Championships. Horses not Nominated to Breeders' Cup may be nominated under the Horses of Racing Age nomination program.
Horses of Racing Age Nominations
Refunds for Pre-Entry and Entry Fees
Pre-entry fees and entry fees for nominated horses are non-refundable except in the event of sickness or disability certified by the track or state veterinarian (or veterinary certification acceptable to Breeders' Cup Limited) or in the event a horse is prevented from starting by a decision of the Racing Directors/Secretaries Panel in order to limit the field of starters.