Eligibility & Fees
Pre-Entry opens October 1st
Breeders’ Cup Condition of Integrity
- If any connection of a pre-entered horse has been notified by a regulatory body, racetrack, or racing association (i) about a pending or potential anti-doping or medication control violation involving the connection, or (ii) that such connection is currently banned, ejected or denied from participating in racing in its jurisdiction or facility, such connection must immediately report the same to Breeders’ Cup.
- BCL may, in its sole and absolute discretion, declare ineligible any horse in any BCWC race if any connection (e.g., owner, trainer, jockey) of such horse has engaged in any conduct that is unlawful, unethical or may otherwise compromise the integrity or reputation of the BCWC.
Prohibited Substances and Methods and Penalties for Covered Persons
Breeders’ Cup is proud to support the national rules of the Horseracing Integrity and Safety Authority, Inc. (“HISA”) and its Anti-Doping and Medication Control (“ADMC”) Program, which prohibit the use of certain substances and methods and provide for uniform results management for alleged Anti-Doping and Controlled Medication rule violations. Responsible Persons are strictly liable for any Banned or Controlled Medication substances or methods in relation to his or her Covered Horse(s). For violations of the ADMC Program, sanctions include: disqualification; suspension; period of ineligibility, up to and including a lifetime ban; fines; and forfeiture of purses, prizes, trophies, points, rankings, and all other compensation. For repeat offenders or in cases where aggravating circumstances are present, Covered Persons may be subject to increased periods of ineligibility and additional fines. Please review the ADMC Program rules carefully, available here: https://hisaus.org/regulations.
Breeders' Cup Out of Competition Testing
Breeders’ Cup eligible or nominated horses are subject to out-of-competition testing. Sampling and/or testing may be performed by HIWU or by international regulatory authorities in cooperation with HIWU, or by any delegee of the foregoing. This testing will be in accordance with the Horseracing Integrity and Authority, Inc.’s (HISA) rules. The Breeders’ Cup OOC testing will be performed by The Kenneth L. Maddy Equine Analytical Chemistry Laboratory at UC Davis or such other laboratory or laboratories as the Horseracing Integrity and Welfare Unit (“HIWU”) may direct. All routine testing meets or exceeds the protocols established by HISA and/or HIWU, and is required by Breeders’ Cup World Championships to ensure that the highest possible level of testing is performed on all samples and to preserve and protect the integrity and reputation of the Championships. HIWU or its designee conducts OOC testing in accordance with HISA rules, expressly incorporated herein as the same may be now or hereinafter in effect, including HISA Rules 3132 (Authority to test), 3135 (Ownership of Samples), and 3137 (Purpose of Sample Analysis).
Horses that are nominated to Breeders' Cup and are eligible for Breeders' Cup Championship races must pay entry fees as indicated. Horses that were not nominated as weanlings may be late nominated. No horse can be pre-entered for more than two races. When a horse is pre-entered for two races, the required pre-entry payment must be for the race of greatest value, regardless of whether it is the race of first preference.
Horses that are nominated to Breeders' Cup
The pre-entry fee is due by 12 noon (local time at place of pre-entry) on Monday, October 23, 2023.
An entry fee is required to pass the box at the time of entry closing- 10:00 a.m. (PDT) on Monday, October 30, 2023 at the Breeders' Cup Racing Office-Santa Anita.
All Championship starters will receive a travel award if based outside of California.
- $10,000 for North America
- $40,000 for International
All runners are subject to the highest standards in medication testing and security while competing in the Breeders’ Cup World Championships which include the following:
- Out-of-competition testing performed in advance on potential runners
- All Breeders’ Cup World Championships and undercard races will be Lasix free
- All Championship runners must be on the grounds of the racetrack by Tuesday, Ocbtober 31 for a security check-in.
- 24-Hour Security on every runner that will begin at the mandatory security check-in time on Tuesday, October 31st
- All runners will be inspected physically and on track every day in the week prior to the Championships by a combined team of CHRB regulatory veterinarians and the Breeders’ Cup Veterinary team.
- TC02 testing performed on every runner.
- All horses entered and all finishers in each Breeders’ Cup World Championships race will be subject to Post Race Sample Collection.
- All runners may request pre-race testing if they are concerned about withdrawal times for medications permitted during training but not racing.
- For additional security/safety measures put in place by Santa Anita Park and the CHRB, please see the list on the yellow attention page in the front of the Horsemen’s Information Guide.
All horses must be nominated to compete in the Breeders' Cup World Championships. Horses not Nominated to Breeders' Cup may be nominated under the Horses of Racing Age nomination program.
Refunds for Pre-Entry and Entry Fees
Pre-entry fees and entry fees for nominated horses are non-refundable except in the event of sickness or disability certified by the track or state veterinarian (or veterinary certification acceptable to Breeders' Cup Limited) or in the event a horse is prevented from starting by a decision of the Racing Directors/Secretaries Panel in order to limit the field of starters.