Eligibility & Race Fees
Pre-Entry opens October 1st
Horses that are nominated to Breeders' Cup and are eligible for Breeders' Cup Championship
races must pay entry fees as indicated. Horses that were not nominated as weanlings
may be late nominated. No horse can be pre-entered for more than two races. When
a horse is pre-entered for two races, the required pre-entry payment must be for
the race of greatest value, regardless of whether it is the race of first preference.
Horses that are nominated to Breeders' Cup
The pre-entry fee is due by 12 noon (local time at place of
pre-entry) on Monday, October 24, 2016.
An entry fee is required to pass the box at the time of entry
closing- 10:00 a.m. (PDT) on Monday, October 31, 2016 at the Breeders' Cup Racing
All Championship starters will receive a travel award if based outside of California.
- $10,000 for North America
- $40,000 for International
All runners are subject to the highest standards in medication testing and security
while competing in the Breeders’ Cup World Championships which include the following:
- Out-of-competition testing performed in advance on potential runners
- Only approved CHRB licensed veterinarians will administer race-day medications
in all other races.
- 24-Hour Security that will begin 72 hours from post time on each runner.
- All Runners must be on the grounds of the racetrack 72 hours prior to their race-day.
- All runners will be inspected physically and on track every day in the week prior
to the Championships by a combined team of CHRB regulatory veterinarians and the
Breeders’ Cup Veterinary team.
- TC02 testing performed on every runner.
- The first four finishers plus any other will be sent for post-race testing from
every Championship race. Testing will be performed for over 100 performance enhancing
- All runners may request pre-race testing if they are concerned about withdrawal
times for medications permitted during training but not racing.
All horses must be nominated to compete in the Breeders' Cup World Championships.
Horses not Nominated to Breeders' Cup may be nominated under the Horses of Racing
Age nomination program.
Refunds for Pre-Entry and Entry Fees
Pre-entry fees and entry fees for nominated horses are non-refundable except in
the event of sickness or disability certified by the track or state veterinarian
(or veterinary certification acceptable to Breeders' Cup Limited) or in the event
a horse is prevented from starting by a decision of the Racing Directors/Secretaries
Panel in order to limit the field of starters.